* Ants don't sleep.
* Owls have eyeballs that are tubular in shape, because of this, they cannot move their eyes.
* A bird requires more food in proportion to its size than a baby or a cat.
* The mouse is the most common mammal in the US.
* A newborn kangaroo is about 1 inch in length.
* A cow gives nearly 200,000 glasses of milk in her lifetime.
* The Canary Islands were not named for a bird called a canary. They were named after a breed of large dogs. The Latin name was Canariae insulae - "Island of Dogs."
* There are 701 types of pure breed dogs.
* A polecat is not a cat. It is a nocturnal European weasel.
* Tapeworms range in size from about 0.04 inch to more than 50 feet in length.
* A baby bat is called a pup.
* German Shepherds bite humans more than any other breed of dog.
* A female mackerel lays about 500,000 eggs at one time.
* It takes 35 to 65 minks to produce the average mink coat. The numbers for other types of fur coats are: beaver - 15; fox - 15 to 25; ermine - 150; chinchilla - 60 to 100.
* The animal responsible for the most human deaths world-wide is the mosquito.
* The biggest pig in recorded history was Big Boy of Black Mountain, North Carolina, who was weighed at 1,904 pounds in 1939.
* Cats respond most readily to names that end in an "ee" sound.
* A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor.
* Pigs, walruses and light-colored horses can be sunburned.
* Snakes are immune to their own poison.
* An iguana can stay under water for 28 minutes.
* Cats have more than one hundred vocal sounds, while dogs only have about ten.
* The biggest member of the cat family is the male lion, which weighs 528 pounds (240 kilograms).
* Most lipstick contains fish scales.
* Rats multiply so quickly that in 18 months, two rats could have over a million descendants.
* Each day in the US, animal shelters are forced to destroy 30,000 dogs and cats.
* A shrimp's heart is in their head.
* A pregnant goldfish is called a twit.