Micro-Waved Water - One MUST Read
A 26-year old guy decided to have a cup of coffee. He took a cup of water and put it in the microwave to heat it up (something that he had done numerous times before).
I am not sure how long he set the timer forbut he told me he wanted to bring the water to a boil. When the timer shut the oven offhe removed the cup from the oven. As he looked into the cuphe noted that the water was not boilingbut instantly the water in the cup 'blew up' into his face.
The cup remained intact until he threw it out of his hand but all the water had flown out into his face due to the build up of energy. His whole face is blistered and he has 1st and 2nd degree burns to his facewhich may leave scarring. He also may have lost partial sight in his left eye. While at the hospitalthe doctor who was attending to him stated that this is fairly common occurrence and water (alone) should never be heated in a microwave oven. If water is heated in this mannersomething should be placed in the cup to diffuse the energy such as: a wooden stir sticktea bagetc. It is however a much safer choice to boil the water in a tea kettle.
General Electric's (GE) response:
Thanks for contacting us. I will be happy to assist you. The e- mail that you received is correct. Micro waved water and other liquids do not always bubble when they reach the boiling point. They can actually get superheated and not bubble at all. The superheated liquid will bubble up out of the cup when it is moved or when something like a spoon or teabag is put into it. To prevent this from happening and causing injurydo not heat any liquid for more than two minutes per cup. After heatinglet the cup stand in the microwave for thirty seconds before moving it or adding anything into it.